Sunday, September 16, 2012

Shooting Range

Last weekend, Andrew and I took the Midland Shooters Association range orientation course with a friend.  We had tried to attend previously, but we arrived 6 minutes before it started which was apparently "too late", and we were refused entry.

We were a little bitter about that, so we decided to wait a few months before returning.  I'm sure they noticed our absence and felt badly for turning us away.  That's what we like to think, anyway.  Unfortunately, it's the only range in this area so there was no option of opting for the competition to strengthen our protest.

I don't remember the orientation itself; lots of safety preaching and a couple of examples of how dangerous this hobby can be.  One lady apparently shot herself in the hand by holding the gun to her hand and pressing the trigger.  Pretty sure I'm not going to do that.  Actually, that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would do.

I do remember that I can buy a t-shirt for $15.  Perhaps they could offer a t-shirt as part of the $200 membership fee.  Or as a consolation to anyone who had previously tried to attend the orientation, but didn't arrive before the 30 minute cut-off.  The tour of the range was a little more interesting and we figured out where we would mostly likely spend our time during visits. 

The next day, I packed up Mary and some snacks, Andrew packed up enough guns and ammunition to support a rebel army, and we headed back to the range for the afternoon.  The tour guide was adamant that they encourage children to use the range so long as they are within arm length of an adult and wear proper ear protection.  Sure enough, Mary was not the only kid at the range that day.

Mary shot a handgun and a rifle (she preferred the latter).  However, her favorite activity was reloading the magazines and sweeping up the empty shells.

I shot my 9mm Glock and Andrew's 22.  I don't enjoy shooting the 45, or really anything more powerful than my Glock. 

I am a pretty decent shot, although I could use some work on stabilizing my aim.  I can line up pretty well, but then looking down the barrel I notice my hand shakes like a dithery old lady, or at least that's how it looks when you're trying to line up a distant target.

The association offers several classes, including concealed weapons permit, and a defense class where you learn how to use your gun in a real life situation.  I'm not sure that either would be of any practical use for me, but the second sounds like a lot of fun. 




 





No comments: