Friday, March 24, 2017

Pottering about back home, summer '16

For our annual trip back to the UK this summer, we tacked on a trip to London.  After growing up on the border to Scotland, I lived "down south" for four years and some change during my time at Royal Holloway university, and for a brief time after when I shared an awesome apartment on the Thames with my college roommate Neil (also a "Northerner").
Mary was keen to visit London (what American teenage girl isn't?), so I planned an itinerary with an awesome surprise.

Do you know how difficult it is to entertain a very mobile toddler on an international flight?  Luckily, we had great seats on an almost empty flight to Newcastle.

It seems Finley has finally outgrown the baby bassinet and she found a more comfy spot.

My girls love riding trains.  It's something we never get to do back home and, I must say, trains are far nicer nowadays than they were when I last relied on them as a daily mode of transportation.

My girls even like train food.


This year, I was smart enough to reserve everything well in advance, including hotel and railway tickets.  If you don't make reservations at least 12 weeks advance, you will miss discounts and often end up paying a much higher price, particularly for train tickets.  

I booked a room for us all at the Thistle Euston Hotel, recommended to me by family.  I was very impressed with this hotel.  The rates were very reasonable, it is less than a two block walk from Euston station, the room was spacious and included a nice bassinet and baby bedding, and breakfast was included (important when traveling with kids).   At first, I was unable to book the room online because there were three of us on the booking.  I emailed the hotel and received a phone call the same day offering me a discount and room upgrade for my inconvenience.  So, their customer service kinda rocks too.  Next to the hotel is a quaint little park, complete with a play area perfect for toddlers. 

The view from our  hotel room.



random cute Finn pic



silly girls

On Mary's surprise day, she almost drove me insane asking where we were going (her strategy, I think).  I managed to keep it a secret all the way to Watford Junction where we finally met the Harry Potter bus to take us to the studios.  Mary literally squealed when she saw the bus pull up and declared it the best surprise ever.
For any Harry Potter fan, a visit to these studios is a magical affair.   Everything is original, all down to the stone flooring in the great hall.  I've never seen Mary so interested in exhibits and artifacts and I think she took over a thousand photos.

 


After a brief introduction, the curtain is pulled back to reveal the door to the Great Hall. 

















Butterbeer!  Pretty good but super sweet.


 We took another day to visit Windsor and my old stomping grounds, Egham and Royal Holloway.  Finley enjoyed all the train journeys on this London trip.




Oh look, she lost a sock. Fancy that.

Mary preferred the sophistication of the Tube.

I have spent lots of time standing on this platform, listening to my walkman, waiting for a train.

Windsor is pretty easy to get to from London and is only about five miles from where I went to university.  It's a nice, relaxing day out for anyone visiting London.



The slopey house still stands.

It was a beautiful day, so Windsor Castle was quiet busy.  Even so, we only waited maybe 10 minutes for entrance to the grounds.








 

The last time I visited St. George's Chapel, I got to hear the amazing choir.



Every time we visit a beautiful church or cathedral, Mary likes to light a candle to remember a lost loved one.  I think this one was for Granda Tom.




From Windsor, we took a bus to Egham and alighted at Englefield Green, a village just a short walk from Royal Holloway.  I was so excited to bring Mary to my college!  The entire campus has seen some major renovation and new buildings have popped up everywhere, but Founders Building remains unchanged.  As a grade 1 listed building, it probably always will.


My dorm room, right turret, third floor.  I had a roommate and only once did we accidentally set off the fire alarm by burning toast at 2am.



The Chapel.  I tried to get in the Picture Gallery, but it looked like an event was being hosted.  The picture gallery houses 77 Victorian paintings (Thomas Holloway's collection) and I remember it being a pretty amazing place to take my exams.  The Polar Bear painting would be covered as it was reputed to make students fail.  Yeah, that's why you failed.

Queen Victoria (opened the university) in the North Quad.





Here's where I had most of my classes!  Everywhere look so much smaller than I remember.


The old student's union building.  This looked new when I was here :/

Department of Psychology.  Professor Michael Eysenck is still here.


After some exploration, I finally found the path that leads down into Egham and to my student house on Clarence Street.  It amazes me that I couldn't remember the way, even though I have walked this path hundreds of times.


22 Clarence Street.  Remodeled, repainted, new fence, and with an extension, but still looks just the same.  I wasn't able to walk back and see if our home-built BBQ was still there.

The next day, we took a bus/boat tour; a great option for kids who are otherwise starved of public transportation.  Seriously, my kids think buses and trains are the schist.  





We stayed on the bus for just a short while when I decided we could easily walk between most major attractions.  Too stubborn to admit that I couldn't remember my way around, we ended up walking in circles for quite some time. 





Our tour ticket included a boat trip down (up?) the Thames to the Tower of London.

I don't recommend a boat trip on a warm day (no A/C).

My strange baby loves nuts and cottage cheese, and not much else.

I debated buying advanced tickets for the London Eye, but just couldn't get excited about the idea.  I'm sure the views are awesome, but we're a little over-satiated on city view ferris wheels.




Should I be labeling these pictures?  I assume everyone just knows these sights...


I'm sure 60% of the buildings in this photo were erected after I emigrated (jeepers, how old AM I?), and I only know the one on the right is the Gherkin.

Mary enjoyed Ripley's Believe it or Not.  While there, they held a fire drill and instructed all visitors to evacuate using the staircase.  This is fine if you don't have a stroller and doctor's orders not to lift anything over 30 pounds.  When I asked for help from the girl in the neon vest (fire drill officiant?), I was told no one was available, and "I'm sorry!" before she closed the door to the stairwell leaving me stranded.  So, my toddler and I hypothetically died of smoke inhalation as we clambered down the staircase.  


Mary learned about the Berlin Wall




Completely lost, but we found ice-cream, and maybe that's Nelson's Column in the distance?  
Ah, maybe not then.


I came here a lot for Dim sum

Mary is more about the noodles.




Sometimes, the more fun places aren't on the guide map.




On the way home, we noticed Carlisle train station was decorated with birthday acknowledgements for the queen.

Practicing cartwheels at Nana's house

Finley enjoys Nana's garden animals

A bat appeared on the fireplace and I spent a good amount of time researching whether British bats habor rabies.  They don't, for the record.

I took the girls to Fairy Day at Morton Manor.

We spent a day in Millom and the girls received balloons, bracelets, and cute little invitations to be bridesmaids at Auntie Carly's wedding!  They were super excited to be bridesmaids.  Finley was just super excited to get a balloon and she insisted on falling asleep with it that night.



Nana Lida had these awesome cupcakes made; "Just Married" for me, "Engaged" for Carly, and "Gone Fishing" for Uncle Mike.

We spent the day with Auntie Barbara at Blackpool Zoo.  








We also went to Hammonds Pond.  I love Hammonds Pond.   Years ago, you could take row and paddles boats out onto the pod.  Barbara used to live here and it was easy access from her backyard.  Nowadays, you can order a decent cup of tea and bacon buttie from the little cafe by the new play area.



Lucy, enjoying the woodchips :)



As a wedding gift, my brother and his family took us for afternoon tea at Armathwaite Hall on Bassenthwaite Lake.  It was delicious!












It rained the day we went to Muncaster Castle. but we still had fun.






I have this same photo of the girls, taken when they were probably 5 and 8 years old.

Of course, the maze









Finley enjoyed watching the birds of prey













No comments: