Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mary's shining moment

Late January, Mary took part in the Jack Hendrix Piano and Voice competition in Odessa, TX.  This involved practicing a piece of music for months, perfecting it to "Classics Compilation CD" quality and then playing behind closed doors to two austere judges.

You then wait for up to an hour before they announce the places.  It's a very reserved event and when winners are announced, the students are reticent and the waiting crowd clap politely.  Not Mary.  When she was called for first place, she jumped up and screamed "YES!!", clapping like a sea lion with a grin as big as Sunday.

I was very proud of her.  It's a tough competition and they don't always give places for every piece.  The next day, Mary played at the winner's concert and got her ribbon.  I was even more proud that my nine year old little girl got up on that big college stage and played a grand piano for a pretty intimidating crowd.  I know I did not have that courage when I was her age.

I was amazed at some of the older pianists.  Several times they gave me goose bumps; their talent was just astonishing and I felt physically moved. 





1 comment:

Plants Amaze Me said...

Congratulations Mary!!
I was very impressed with your piano playing!
What a great accomplishment!