Monday, June 16, 2014

May 2014

Another school year comes to a close and, as usual, May was a busy month for this and other reasons.

We were invited back to the Rock House Ranch Reunion, an annual/bi-annual event hosted by a small group of ranch owners, located about 40 miles north east of Van Horn, TX.  We stayed at the historic Hotel El Capitan in Van Horn.  Apparently, this is a sister hotel to the Hotel Paisano in Marfa (featured in a previous blog) and has the exact same floor plan.  Designed by architect Henry Trost, this is one of a chain of hotels built around 1930 to encourage tourism within a 200 mile range of El Paso.  The hotel operated until the late 1960's and was later turned into a bank.  In 2007 the building was bought and renovated back to its original function.  It is a nice hotel; unique and comfortable.  However, the rooms are small and basic and parking can be a pain.


The Rock House Ranch Reunion is a fine opportunity to pull out the cowboy boots for a genuine event.  Mary enjoys the freedom of running around, climbing rocks and finding other kids to play with.




Mary found a friend, Sam, and they hung out together most of the evening.

 

There is a significant hill behind the ranch; a walk up here following dinner offers great views.  Unfortunately, I didn't take anymore photos of the "great views".

 
Asleep at the Wheel performed.  They are a nine-grammy-award-winning American country group from West Virginia, and they were very good!

Mary closed out dance classes for the year with the annual dance recital at Wagner Noel.  if Mary decides to continue dance we might need to switch from Absolute Dance to another studio, for two main reasons: First reason: they hold their recital at Wagner Noel.  Getting tickets for this event is usually a nightmare and, again, I had waited over an hour in line, on my allocated day, to make sure I could get tickets to watch my own child perform.  Despite being in line super early, by the time I was served the "best" seats available were front row.  Oh well, at least I got to see her dance up close!
Second reason: in order for your child to be featured (photo) in the recital program, you have to either pay a ridiculous sum of money, or sell advertising space in the program.  This means that the program is basically a book filled with advertisements and several pages of photos of the same girls over and over again.  There are a couple of pages in the middle where the dances and dancers are listed.  Most dance studios will allow you to pay $5-10 for a line in the program where you can congratulate and cheer on your dancer.  Absolute Dance does not offer this (unless you pay the silly price).    I do like Absolute Dance, but I am thinking we will move to a studio where the focus is more on the dancers, not just on making more money.


 The photos are not the best quality; you can click on a picture to make it bigger (for those that don't know!)





On Memorial Day this year, we visited the Commemorative Air Force Museum.  We listened to two of the original Tuskegee Airmen talk about their time in the air force; Dr. Granville Coggs and Theodore Johnson.  Dr. Coggs impressed everyone by reciting the Gettysburg address from memory.  Apparently, he spent one afternoon learning the speech when his wife and daughter left him in a warm library for the day while they went shopping.  I like elderly folk who have smarts and a good sense of humor.

The B-17, four-engine heavy bomber, was out for show and for $5 you could take a tour inside.  



Dr. Coggs and Mr. Johnson


 The CAF Airport Museum pulled out all the planes.


 
Mary and her best friend had fun with the free face painting and balloon animals.

In other May news...

I attended the Texas Educational Diagnostician's Association (TEDA) conference in Austin with some colleagues.  Oddly enough, the only photo I have is probably not appropriate for a work related trip and some might not like me posting it to my blog!  I do have this nice picture of someone's purse and the hotel pool:


If you're ever driving through Llano (perhaps on the way to Austin), this BBQ joint is pretty good; 
Coopers Old Time Pit BBQ.

Mary enjoyed field day:


 ...and her last choir performance around town:


Mary took part in the Carver talent show.  Again this year, there were many talented performers, a very speedy blindfolded cup stacker, a talented solo guitarist/vocalist, violin players, dancers, and stand up comedians.  I love these kids; they're not afraid to get up there and show what they've got.  I took a video of Mary:


Mary gave a  Pocahontas presentation.


We took the Trio of Gardens tour around Midland.  This tour included three Midland residences with amazing gardens.  I only got a photo of the least amazing garden.  I guess I was too busy looking at the others.  

The most amazing house but least amazing garden, although I do like flowering ocatillo.  
The garden actually was a little bit more amazing than this picture suggests.

We took a day trip to Lubbock and browsed some campers.  Buying a camper is like a chicken and egg conundrum.  Do I need a vehicle that can pull the camper I want, or do I need a camper that can be pulled by the vehicle I want?  The vehicle I want (Toyota 4-Runner) probably can't pull the camper I want, which likely requires a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition, both of which are probably too big for my liking.  I have decided to defer this problem to next year as we will be away most of this summer anyway.


I found golden shoes and had to pry myself away.  I reeeally want these shoes.  Probably more than I want a camper.


The driver's visor fell clean off my car, which is probably a sign that I need to buy a 4-Runner, right?


I found a cockroach waiting for me right outside my office door.  Just as I was about to call in sick and go home, a brave high school student walked right up and squashed it with his bare hands.  I love working in a high school.  Not once have I been asked to tie anyone's shoes.


I was fooled into buying coconut water.  It sounds delicious doesn't it?  A tantalizing, tropical refreshment.  It is disgusting and I felt cheated.  It was like quinoa all over again.  I never learn - I am British and have simple tastes.


Mary and I attended the special ed. high school prom.  For both of us, this was our first prom and Mary had a blast dancing with everyone.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching all of our kids, dressed in tuxedos and beautiful dresses, having the time of their lives.  Just another reminder that I love my job.
And because I love and want to keep my job, there are no photos :)


No comments: